Evening Tea is a must for me & my husband and if you have a snack to munch on while sipping some hot hot tea, that enhances the taste of a simple tea/chai. When you have young kids at home, you are always on lookout for healthy snacks to feed them as well. Indian Mixture in general would be a fried item, but this puffed rice mixture uses very less oil – max of 1 1/2 tbsp and makes it a healthier version of mixture. This lasts for a very long time and hence you can make it in bulk and store it in an air tight container. However I should warn you, since its so very tasty, you might end up over eating it and so wont last long… 😉
- Puffed Rice – 4 cups
- Mustard Seeds – 1/2 Tsp
- Roasted Chana Dal/Dalia – 2 Tbsp
- Green chilly/Thai Pepper – 4 Slit (The ones used here are very small in size but very spicy.)
- Curry Leaves – few
- Asafoetida/ Hing – a pinch
- Turmeric – a pinch
- Dry Fine Shredded Unsweetened Coconut – 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Roasted Peanuts – 1/2 cup
- Roasted Cashews – 1/4 cup
- Salt – to Taste
- Oil – 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Add 1/2 Tbsp of oil to a wide wok and roast the peanuts and cashews one by one until it turns light golden and set aside.
- Add the remaining 1 Tbsp of oil, add mustard seeds. Let it splutter.
- Add the roasted chana dal and roast until it turns light golden.
- Add green chilly, curry leaves and saute until the curry leaves is totally dry.
- add hing, turmeric, salt and dry shredded coconut.
- Add Puffed Rice mix well using 2 spatulas.
- Switch off the gas. Add roasted peanuts, cashews and mix well.
- Let it cool down and store in an air tight container.
- Enjoy with your evening tea.
- You may add any nuts of your choice instead of cashews.
- You may substitute dry shredded coconut with dry coconut slices as well or you may even skip it.