Pickle is one of those items I have always had at my home. It is a perfect condiment that goes well along with rice. You don’t need many items to make an awesome lunch. Rice, a simple dal, Pappad and Pickle – I would say its a perfect lunch menu.
This Instant Mango pickle, as the name suggests is very instant to make and can be served on the same day. It doesn’t need to rest for a long period unlike the traditional ones. This is the pickle that’s usually served for any sadya. We just need to store it refrigerated in an air tight glass container, and you have it ready for every day lunch/dinner for a month. Try it out and you wouldn’t be disappointed.
- Raw Mango – 3 large/6 Cups – Finely chopped
- Mustard Seeds – 1 Tsp
- Green chilly – 4 – Finely chopped
- Curry Leaves – Few – Finely chopped
- Ginger – 1 inch piece – Finely chopped
- Hing/Asafoetida – 1/2 -3/4 Tsp
- Uluva Podi/Roasted Fenugreek powder – 1/2-3/4 Tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 Tsp
- Kashmiri Chilly Powder – 2 Tsp
- Red Chilly Powder – 1 Tsp
- Sesame Oil/ Gingely Oil – 3 Tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Finely chop the Raw Mango and add salt. Mix well and keep it aside for 2-3 hours. Optionally you may drain the water from the cut mango after 2-3 hours. I don’t normally do it, unless there is a lot of water collected in the bottom.
- In a deep bottomed wok, add oil. Once the oil gets hot, add mustard seeds and let it splutter.
- Time to add green chilly, ginger and curry leaves. Saute for a few minutes.
- Now add Hing, roasted fenugreek powder, turmeric, kashmiri chilly powder, regular chilly powder. Saute until the raw smell goes away.
- Switch off the gas and Mix in Raw Mango.
- Let it cool down and store in an air tight glass container. Refrigerate.
- Make sure you use a dry spoon while taking the pickle out of the jar. For convenience, you may even fill a smaller container for daily use and then refill once it gets over.
- If you find the spices a little less, just heat some sesame oil and as it gets hot, add the extra spices you would want and mix well to the mango.
- Just make enough that would get finished in a month. Since we are not adding a lot of oil, it will not last for more than a month.
- Kashmiri chilly powder is optional. But it gives a very bright color to the pickle.