This was the first time I was using Soya chunks. I always knew it is a rich source of protein, but never tried it. Few days back, I had gone grocery shopping for basically Phool Makhana, but when I found a box of Soya chunks( brand – nutrela) just behind it, I thought why not give it a try.
So there you go, Here’s the recipe for the same. I used my Instant pot to cook it. But you may do it in a regular pressure cooker or in a wok on the stove top too.
I was a bit skeptical on how soya would taste, but to my surprise, it turned out awesome. I would say lip smacking. I hope you enjoy it too!☺️
- Soya chunks – 3/4 cup dry
- Onion – 1/2 of a big one – Finely Chopped
- Tomato Puree – of 1 1/2 Tomatoes
- Cashews – 7 soaked in hot water
- Jeera/ Cumin Seeds – 1/4 Tsp
- Green chilly – 2 chopped
- Ginger Paste – 1/4 Tsp
- Salt – To Taste
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 Tsp
- Kashmiri Chilly powder – 3/4 Tsp
- Coriander Powder – 1 1/2 Tsp
- Jeera Powder – 1/4 Tsp
- Garam Masala – 1/8th tsp
- Kasuri Methi/ Dry Fenugreek leaves – Roasted and crushed – 1/4 Tsp
- Cilantro/ Coriander Leaves – For garnish
- Water – 3/4 Cup
- Oil – 1 Tbsp
- Soak the Soya Chunks in hot water for 15-20 mins. After 15-20 mins, drain and add it to cold water. Squeeze out the water from the soya chunks and keep it aside.
- Make the puree of 1 1/2 Tomatoes and the soaked cashews and keep it aside.
- Switch on the saute mode on Instant Pot. Add oil & once it gets hot, add Jeera.
- As Jeera Splutters, add green chilly & saute for a minute.
- Add Onions and saute until it turns translucent.
- Add ginger paste & saute for a minute.
- Add Turmeric, Chilly, Coriander & Jeera powder. Saute until the raw smell goes away.
- Add Tomato, Cashew puree and saute until oil separates from the gravy and becomes a thick paste.
- Add Soya chunks and mix well until the paste gets very well coated on the soya.
- Add Water & mix well.
- Saute mode off & set manual – 4 mins.
- Once the cooking finishes, open the lid once the steam goes away(Natural Release/NR)
- Add Garam Masala, Kasuri Methi & Mix well. Let the entire water evaporate and the curry becomes dry and well coated on the Soya.
- Garnish with cilantro. Serve hot with Rotis/chapathis/Naan.