Pav Bhaji is a very famous Mumbai Street food. This yummy, mouth watering dish with the goodness of all veggies with some butter and chopped onions on top served along side Indian Pav/ Burger bun is easily a favorite dish of any Indian.
The authentic way of making it is somewhat a lengthy process. But my favorite gadget, Instant Pot makes it a breeze. You can also make the same dish in a regular pressure cooker. The original recipe calls for a lot of butter. But for making it on a regular basis, I dont prefer too much butter & hence in this recipe you will find very less oil/butter being used.
So let me just get to the recipe right away. I hope you enjoy making it too.
- Butter/Oil – 1 Tbsp
- Onion – 3/4th of a large one – finely chopped
- Green chilly – 2 small – finely chopped
- Ginger Paste – 1/2 Tsp
- Tomato – Puree of 2 large sized tomatoes
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 Tsp
- Kashmiri Red Chilly Powder – 1 Tsp
- Salt – To Taste
- Pav Bhaji Masala – 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Potato – 1 large sized – cubed
- Carrot – 1 medium sized – cubed
- Green Beans – 4 finely chopped
- Frozen Green Peas – 1/4 cup
- Cauliflower – 4 – 5 Florets
- Water – 3/4 cup
- Capsicum – 1/4 of a medium sized one – finely chopped
- Lemon Juice – 2 Tsp
- Cilantro – For garnish
- Chopped onions – For garnish
- Switch on the saute mode on Instant Pot(IP). Once Hot, Add Butter/oil. Once the oil gets hot, add green chillies and saute for a minute.
- Add onions and saute until it turns translucent. Add ginger paste & saute for a minute till the raw taste goes away.
- Add the tomato puree and saute until it gets thick and oil starts separating from the sides.
- Add turmeric, kashmiri chilly powder & pavbhaji masala. saute until the raw smell of the masalas go away.
- Add veggies except capsicum and coat them well with the Masala.
- Add 3/4 cup water and salt to taste.
- Switch off saute mode. Close the lid and switch on manual – 5 mins. Quick Release after 10 mins once the cooking is done.
- Open the lid & mash the veggies using a potato masher. Switch on the Saute mode & saute until we get the required consistency for the Bhaji.
- In another pan on the stove top, saute capsicum in 1/2 Tsp of oil until its cooked, but still stays crunchy and add this to the Bhaji.
- Add Lemon juice and lots of cilantro.
- Serve hot with toasted Indian Pav or Burger buns along side some onions and a lemon slice.